Monday, October 20, 2008

Keeping Children Safe

Over the years, I have heard discussion through the media on what is the right time to make a call to report what you ‘think’ may be happening to a school child you are teaching, to a child you hearing screaming next door or to a child of a school mate who seems to always be injured or bruised. I always thought it would be easy to know when to do this but the reality is that I didn’t.

Having moved into a new neighborhood less than a year ago, we met all our new neighbors and made friends but occasionally would hear some children nearby being screamed at and hearing sounds that sounded like hitting. These children are 2 and under (3 kids in total). My father had heard this when visiting, my husband and I had heard it a number of times and some of our house guests had heard it and we all talked about our concerns but none of us actually saw anything so didn’t know how concerned to be.

The dilemma was – do you report something you assume may be happening without having actually seen it. I also should add, it didn’t sound like a little smack on the bottom but hitting over and over. Now, this may sound easy to you but when you are a neighbor and new to a neighborhood you want to think the best of those around you and without actually seeing abuse, you question what it is you are hearing and what really may be happening.

I remember one time when I was in college that I came home during a burglary. Somehow I walked in and managed to justify the mess in the house, the missing DVD player and the gate being opened for a few hours – until I saw the window missing when I opened the freezer (looking for donuts) and found it in there. Then the light went on in my head and I realised we were being robbed.

One of our houseguests finally did see the truth and witnessed one of the children being beaten and called Social Services. When she told me I was appalled that these poor children were being hurt and also upset about why I hadn’t done anything earlier. It has played on my mind ever since.

So today – I urge you to believe your concerns even when they are not solid. If nothing is going on, then let an expert figure that out. Make the call and help keep children safe.

If you suspect child abuse please call (in the USA):

1- 800- 4- A- Child
(1- 800- 422- 4453)

Or call Social Services in your area.

No comments: