Monday, October 27, 2008

Only One Week Left to Decide the Future of the USA

I often debate just how much of my personal beliefs I should ‘advertise’ through my blog, facebook, website and twitter profiles because not all of my friends, clients and vendors necessarily share the same views. That said, I am a huge supporter of the first amendment right of free speech and feel that everyone deserves to have their voice heard regardless of whether I agree with them or not. While I am extremely fortunate to have had a great education and two parents with a strong set of values to guide me that not everyone has had that privilege and many people are still debating which candidate is the best choice for them – so with that in mind, I offer my thoughts on the next President of the USA.

While certainly no candidate is perfect, I believe that Barack Obama is the right choice for Cute-ture, for my family and for my country. Why?

I guess first of all understand my politics – put people first (as in all human beings regardless of immigration status, income, job security etc)

1. The Health System in America is an embarrassment. Having grown up in Australia where our taxes ensure all Australians are covered for medical care, I have never been able to comprehend the unfair and overpriced system in America, which leaves so many people without healthcare and vulnerable to bankruptcy and/or painful conditions that remain untreated, as they don’t have coverage. This is outrageous. 19 million women alone are uninsured in this country! Obama has made this his priority from the beginning of his campaign and understands their needs to be a fundamental shift away from the existing system.

2. Taxes – I get a tax break under Obama’s policy and when I earn enough to be a higher tax bracket – I will be happy to pay higher taxes because I have the core belief that those who can – should help those with less. People first always. One of the things that worries me about McCain is that he continually offers more breaks and more spending but doesn’t explain where he will raise money to pay for it. Obama gets it – you can’t offer to do more without looking at how you will pay for it. Barack Obama's tax plan delivers broad-based tax relief to middle class families and cuts taxes for small businesses and companies that create jobs in America, while restoring fairness to our tax code and returning to fiscal responsibility. Coupled with Obama's commitment to invest in key areas like health, clean energy, innovation and education, his tax plan will help restore bottom-up economic growth that helps create good jobs in America and empowers all families achieve the American dream.

3. Education – the future is all about people. What people can create, change and inspire to make our future safer, stronger and secure. Obama has been the only candidate talking about education and the need to set high standards for our schools and give them the resources they need to succeed. Better pay for teachers, more teachers and more accountability – isn’t that what every parent wants! Add the technology elements – broadband lines across all of America and investment in scientific research and he offers this country a future in its people.

Please vote – no matter whom you support – and ensure your voice is heard.

Click on the calculator and see what Obama’s plan means for you. Also visit www.barackobama.com/issues to see where he stands on things that matter to you.

No comments: