Thursday, July 3, 2008

I'm Nearly 3!


I was so lucky to get back to Australia recently on a work trip and get to spend a little bit of time catching up with family. I was so excited about seeing my 2-year old nephew Jude!

I went to my brother Julian's house and as his wife Davina and Jude arrived back from getting some groceries I went up to the car and our conversation went something like

Tracey: Hi Jude
Jude: Hi Tracey (I was so happy he remembered me from 6 months before)
Tracey: I can't believe how much you have grown
Jude: (indignant look on face followed by a sigh) Well I'm almost 3!!!! (walks past me with hands on hips)
Julian: Jude give your aunty a hug.
Jude: (looks at me and decides) Oh.. Ok. (Hug is given though not sure I am forgiven for thinking he is a little 2-year old)

It was a nice reminder for me that children even as young 2 (or as old as nearly 3) have their own mind set on their place in the world. Jude and I had a lot of fun - he beat me on Wii Bowling, I read him about 18 books in a row until my brother rescued me from the marathon session I had unknowingly committed to, we shared some cheese and mostly I did what I was told!

It really motivated me to think about what children in those early years are seeing, feeling and thinking and to look at new products in terms of how a child can be inspired by them. Our Oobi Baby line falls beautifully into that category as do the FLATOUTbears which are still my 'nearly 3-year old' nephews favorite lovies. Our new season will hopefully not only attract the eyes of mums and dads but also the decision makers (yes the nearly 3-year-olds who are picking what they want to wear!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story Dipper!

Anonymous said...

So true. Jude (and I'm sure most others around his age) have very particular tastes and opinions on the things they do as well as the clothes they wear. Jude enjoys picking not just his clothes but mine as well if I let him (although he does tend to pick my loudest shirts!).