Thursday, March 20, 2008

Its Time to Think Christmas (or other religious or non religious gift giving event....)

Its time to think Christmas (or other religious or non religious gift giving event…)

In the past I have been one of those organized people that actually likes to get my gift giving shopping out of the way 8 months ahead of Christmas. It was a combination of not liking crowded spaces and not shopping under pressure especially when our busiest season in business is December.

I love the holidays so knowing that all I had to do for Christmas was gift-wrap meant I could actually expend my energy on parties and catching up with friends. But even better than getting in any buying gifts early I have been so happy to discover the gift of charity – not only can you do this last minute, but you really feel good about it.

I suggested to my family two years ago that perhaps instead of trying to send gifts across the world in the crazy mail season, that we could forgo the gift wrap (save a tree), not need to use the excess gas (driving to the store, driving for 45 minutes trying to get a parking spot, ship it via a postal van, airline and back to postal van for arrival at our door) and instead find a charity gift for each other that truly reflects how much we love each other.

This year I sent my family the gift of Operation Smile. I figured that when I think of my family, it makes me smile, and hence it truly reflected how I felt.

Throughout the world, Operation Smile volunteers repair childhood facial deformities while building public and private partnerships that advocate for sustainable healthcare systems for children and families. Together, with donations they create smiles, change lives and heal humanity. I couldn’t possibly give my family anything better than this!!

My family was all thrilled to receive this and I was thrilled to receive their gifts of charity as well. Its pretty cool knowing that the gift my little brother gave me for Christmas is providing a small remote villager in China, an annual income he can live off through the sales of the wool that the sheep in my name provides them.

Yes you heard right – my brother gave me a sheep!

I thought it was brilliant though am a little worried how he decided that it reflected his thoughts of me….

But then again the year before I got a goat!

So – get the holiday engines in gear and I challenge you to find the perfect charity gift for your family this year! I wonder where I can get a pig…..

No comments: